Really fresh cod fillets have a sweet delicate flavour and pure white flaky flesh. Served with an aromatic fresh tomato sauce on a bed of steamed French beans, they make a delicious healthy meal that is quick to prepare. Accompany this dish with some boiled baby new potatoes if a more substantial dish is required.
1. Preheat the oven to 230 deg C, using a small sharp knife roughly chop the tomatoes leaving the skins on and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a heavy pan and add the tomatoes, thyme, orange rind, basil and sugar and simmer for 5 mins until the tomatoes are soft and juicy. Remove the pan from the heat.
3. Press the tomato mixture through a fine sieve, discarding what remains. Pour into a small pan and heat gently.
4. Scale the cod fillets and cut on the diagonal into 4 pieces.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and fry the cod pieces skin side down until crispy. Place the fish on a greased baking sheet skin side up and roast for 8-10 mins until cooked through. Serve on top of the steamed French beans with the fresh tomato sauce.