My sister Carol tried this recipe first which was found in Easy Food Magazine in April. She thought is was great but it needed something. I decided to try a version with a few tweaks (of course) and let me tell you it was amazing! You end up with lots but it freezes well - handy to stash in the freezer for lunches. Also very low in fat too - bonus !
- 500g chicken fillets
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 green chillies,deseeded and finely chopped (substitute with red if you it spicier)
- 900ml gluten free chicken stock
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cups basmati or long grain rice
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduced the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 mins. Once cooked, leave to cool for another 15 mins in the water. .
- Once cooked, remove the chicken and shred the meat with two forks.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion and peppers for 1-2 minutes then add the garlic and chillies and cook for a further 2-3 mins.
- Add the remaining ingredients along with the chicken and cook gently for about 15 mins or until the rice is cooked.
This dish freezes well once cooled.