- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 225g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda
- 25g sesame seeds plus extra for sprinkling
- 25g butter, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- Preheat oven to 220 deg.C. Dust a baking tray with flour.
- Put the wholemeal, plain flour and salt into a large bowl. Sift in the bicarb of soda and add the sesame seeds. Using your fingertips rub in the butter till it looks like breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg, add the buttermilk and treacle. Pour most of the liquid into the bowl with the flour and using your hand like a claw, combine the mixture. Add more liquid if needed. The dough should be soft but not too sticky.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and lightly knead. Roll or press it out to about 3cm thick and cut into rounds.
- Put the scones onto the prepared tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins. Take a look after 10 mins and if they are quite brown lower the oven down to 200 deg. When they are done they should sound hollow when tapped on the base.
- Allow to cool before eating on a wire tray. Enjoy.