A colleague at work made these and treated us to these in work today. By far best brown scones I ever had. He put the seeds into the mix instead and they were really lovely.
1. Preheat oven to 220 deg.C. Dust a baking tray with flour.
2. Put the wholemeal, plain flour and salt into a large bowl. Sift in the bicarb of soda and add the sesame seeds. Using your fingertips rub in the butter till it looks like breadcrumbs.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg, add the buttermilk and treacle. Pour most of the liquid into the bowl with the flour and using your hand like a claw, combine the mixture. Add more liquid if needed. The dough should be soft but not too sticky.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and lightly knead. Roll or press it out to about 3cm thick and cut into rounds.
5. Put the scones onto the prepared tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins. Take a look after 10 mins and if they are quite brown lower the oven down to 200 deg. When they are done they should sound hollow when tapped on the base.
6. Allow to cool before eating on a wire tray. Enjoy.