Chicken Noodle Soup
This is a wonderful, feel good soup which is extremely healthy and nourishing. It has been described to me ‘like a hug in a bowl’ – perfect for any day but especially when feeling under the weather.
It’s very simple so I hope you give it a try and I’d love to hear about it in the comments.
Sometimes I make this after cooking a whole chicken. I will poach the carcase with the poaching ingredients and add in cooked roasted chicken in step 4. I reduce the amount of stock cubes used too.
- 3 chicken breasts
- Some peppercorns
- thumb size piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 3-4 slices of ginger
- 2-3 carrots diced into cubes
- 1 stick of celery, finely diced
- a couple of finely chopped shallots
- 3-4 finely sliced scallions
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1.2L water
- 2-3 chicken stock cubes
- 2 tsp cornflour dissolved in a small qty of water
- handful of spaghetti or egg noodles broken into small lengths
- Gently poach the chicken breasts in a pot with water, peppercorns, some salt and ginger slices for about 15-20 mins. Allow to cool and chop into small cubes.
- In a large pot, add the water, stock cubes, carrots, shallots, garlic, minced ginger, celery and bring to a boil for about 10-12 mins or until the carrots are becoming tender. Lower to a simmer.
- Add in the cornflour and water mix and stir to combine. Add in the dried herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the broken spaghetti and reduce to a simmer for 3 mins then add in the chicken and chopped scallions.
- Finally, check for seasoning and serve with some fresh scallions on top.