Banana Walnut Bread
This one is more of a cake but a definite favourite at our house. It’s from Odlum’s and results in a delicious loaf and a great way to use up bananas that are over ripe.
Slice the loaf and wrap well and freeze so you have handy treats, serving size, in the freezer,
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 3. Lightly grease and base line a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Put the butter, sugar, eggs, mashed banana and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat well.
- Add the flour and stir into the mixture. Remove about 2 tablespoon of chopped walnuts from the packet (for the top!) and mix remainder into the mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared tin, scatter the reserved walnuts on top and bake in a central oven position for about 50 minutes until well risen and a knife gently pressed into the bread comes out clean.
- Allow to rest in tin for about 10 minutes then turn onto a wire tray to cool.
- When cold wrap in greaseproof paper and tinfoil.
- 225g self raising flour
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g light muscovado sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g chopped walnuts